Origin of a Bad Race

Initiation and Antisemitism

 

From: holderlin66
Date: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:34 pm
Subject: Initiation and Antisemitism

holderlin66 wrote:

Bradford comments;

Initiation and Antisemitism is stunning when we compare Shakespeare's Plays, his vision of each Individual and the inner moral play of events, as Shakespeare was on a path of Initiation to view objectively what makes up the guts of Mankind; and compare Steiner as an Initiate outlining the full Initiation path of the I AM all the way up to Karma and Reincarnation of Individuals.

That means that we look carefully on the substance of Observation. Steiner, we have established, covers the gamut of I AM history, back to the core of Ancient Saturn - The Mid-point of Earth Evolution Christ Event - to Future unfolding conditions. Shakespeare does not reach as high as Steiner, but we curse Steiner for his vision into the depths of humanity. This means that souls fear Initiation Science and the power of Shakespeare, because they both called it as they saw it.

Now, we shall have to say by the measure of Peter S. that Shakespeare was an Antisemite. Look at what he wrote in the "Merchant of Venice". But looking more carefully into the depth of vision that Shakespeare was working with and the depth of vision that Steiner was working with, we see a richness that cannot be limited to such brittle and Politically Correct Ideas, such as AntiSemitism.

The fault lies not with Initiation into the vision of Races, Atlantis and the full unfolding of the vision of the I AM, even to how it wraps itself in flesh, from incarnation to incarnation, because there we begin to see, through the advanced psychological vistas of Initiation Science, the details of Karmic choice and karmic wisdom.

Shakespeare ends his career with "The Tempest". Here the control of a portion of the Elements, the vision of how the Christ I AM was able to enter not only the Atomic Table, but how Christ had command over the Atomic Table, is foreshadowed in the character of Prospero. What breaks through vision in "The Tempest", is not only how a storm has an EYE; or that Sylph spirits incorporate in these storms, but rather, Shakespeare breaking into the higher capacities of vision that await the I AM in Spirit Self, Life Spirit and Spirit Man, gains, through his Poetic Consciousness Soul Initiation, a grasp of future conditions. The entire body of Shakespeare's work allows him to come to such a vision in the "The Tempest".

For the Christ, leaving humanity free to develop and grow in I AM forces, reveals that Christ is not only in control of the elements, but the mastery of the Atomic Table of matter itself that will be given to the higher education of the I AM as it progresses is his as well. All the Keys to all the Worlds.

So, looking again at Antisemitism and the free vision of the I AM, neither Shakespeare or Steiner narrowed our vision of all that the Individual Human Being wrestles with, in emotion, in politics, in nature and science, but WHY each individual wrestles with what they wrestle with. Christ as Lord of Karma, gives opportunity for humanity to grow into their higher selves and reveals that our individual lessons cannot be given a standard, bar code out of a "Blade Runner" concept. Each individual must gain the depth to see and win it themselves and we must develop the depth to see how each person weighs up and measures up. To this, Critics fear that Steiner could see and Steiner gave the Michael School the new capacity to learn how to see.

"Scholars have debated about the nature of the "merry bond" between Shylock and Antonio. Some have suggested Shylock meant to circumcise Antonio, others think he meant to make Antonio take over his place. The fact that Shylock accepts a Christian condition of taking no interest is supposedly offset by the fact that if Shylock wins, Antonio must act Jewish.

Another interesting interpretation deals with why Antonio must stand trial at all. In the Bible Paul said that Jewishness is an internal condition, not external. This implies that Shylock is Jewish not because he was born that way, but because he acts that way. Thus Antonio's mistreatment of Shylock violates this explanation of Jewishness by despising Shylock because of his external features. It is this sin for which Antonio is judged.

Throughout this play there is also the concept of the scapegoat. The scapegoat was used as a way of purging a town of its sins by heaping them onto the unfortunate animal instead. The town would drive one goat out of town and sacrifice another. Both men fit this description in The Merchant of Venice, with Shylock clearly driven out of society and Antonio representing the goat about to be sacrificed.

One of the great ironies of this play is where Shylock calls Portia, "A Daniel come to judgment, yea, a Daniel!" (4.1.218). Daniel was the biblical judge of Susanna, a woman accused of inchastity by the Elders. The story is famous because Daniel rules in Susanna's favor, thus rescuing her. In addition to freeing her, he then further convicts the Elders. Shylock's mistake is that he is premature in calling Portia a Daniel, because he is the one who represents the Elders, and Antonio signifies Susanna. This inversion comes only a few lines later, when Portia not only frees Antonio, but convicts Shylock of attempted murder."

http://www.gradesaver.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/merchantvenice/act4analysis.html

PORTIA:

Soft!
The Jew shall have all justice; soft! no haste:
He shall have nothing but the penalty.

GRATIANO:
O Jew! an upright judge, a learned judge!

PORTIA:
Therefore prepare thee to cut off the flesh.
Shed thou no blood, nor cut thou less nor more
But just a pound of flesh: if thou cut'st more
Or less than a just pound, be it but so much
As makes it light or heavy in the substance,
Or the division of the twentieth part
Of one poor scruple, nay, if the scale do turn
But in the estimation of a hair,
Thou diest and all thy goods are confiscate.

GRATIANO:
A second Daniel, a Daniel, Jew!
Now, infidel, I have you on the hip.

PORTIA:
Why doth the Jew pause? take thy forfeiture.

SHYLOCK:
Give me my principal, and let me go.

BASSANIO:
I have it ready for thee; here it is.

PORTIA:
He hath refused it in the open court:
He shall have merely justice and his bond.

GRATIANO:
A Daniel, still say I, a second Daniel!
I thank thee, Jew, for teaching me that word.

SHYLOCK:
Shall I not have barely my principal?

PORTIA:
Thou shalt have nothing but the forfeiture,
To be so taken at thy peril, Jew.

SHYLOCK:
Why, then the devil give him good of it!
I'll stay no longer question.

PORTIA:

Tarry, Jew:
The law hath yet another hold on you.
It is enacted in the laws of Venice,
If it be proved against an alien
That by direct or indirect attempts
He seek the life of any citizen,
The party 'gainst the which he doth contrive
Shall seize one half his goods; the other half
Comes to the privy coffer of the state;
And the offender's life lies in the mercy
Of the duke only, 'gainst all other voice.
In which predicament, I say, thou stand'st;
For it appears, by manifest proceeding,
That indirectly and directly too
Thou hast contrived against the very life
Of the defendant; and thou hast incurr'd
The danger formerly by me rehearsed.
Down therefore and beg mercy of the duke.

Retardation and Human thinking

...................................................................................................................................

From: zapdingo
Date: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:35 pm
Subject: Re: Initiation and Antisemitism

Bradford,

After reading your message I was suddenly reminded me of this song, which I had forgotten completely over the years. How dry is a life that denies even as a mere possibility the wonders of the spiritual realm which the artistic sensitivity of Shakespeare was able to evoke in such a brilliant manner.

Primitive Painters
(Felt)

I just wish my life could be as strange as a conspiracy
I hold out but there's no way of being what I want to be
Dragons blow fire angels fly spirits wither in the air
I'm just me I can't deny I'm neither here, there nor anywhere

Oh you should see my trail of disgrace,
it's enough to scare the whole human race
Oh you should see my trail of disgrace,
it's enough to scare the whole human race

I don't care about this life, they say there'll be another one
defeatist attitude I know will you be sorry when I've gone
Primitive painters are ships floating on an empty sea
gathering in galleries were stallions of imagery

Bryan

...................................................................................................................................

From: holderlin66
Date: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:03 am
Subject: Initiation and Antisemitism/Enigma

zapdingo wrote:

I just wish my life could be as strange as a conspiracy
I hold out but there's no way of being what I want to be
Dragons blow fire angels fly spirits wither in the air
I'm just me I can't deny I'm neither here, there nor anywhere

Bryan

Rudolf Steiner -

"Now let us consider how karma works through the different incarnations. When human beings come into the world, their powers and capacities must, after all, be regarded as the effects of causes they themselves engendered in earlier incarnations. If this idea is led to its consistent conclusion, all human beings must be treated as if they were a kind of enigma, as beings hovering in the dark foundations of their earlier incarnations. If this idea of karma is put earnestly into effect a significant change will be brought about, not in methods of education only, but in the whole of life. If that were achieved, the idea of karma, instead of merely being an anthroposophical idea, would be transformed into something that takes hold of practical life itself, would become a really potent factor in life."

Bradford comments;

Van Gogh as a painter never sold a painting, except when his brother helped him. Van Gogh, what an enigma and what failure. One of his paintings now sell for 7 million dollars. A lot of good it did him. But even as I wander to the significant signature of Van Gogh cutting off his ear, it reminds me of how Christ put the ear back on when Peter sliced it off. Oh that Peter. Oh that Van Gogh.

Another painter, Arnold Bocklin- now Bocklin came in to incarnation with Wagner and bore some of the same karmic memories that Wagner brought with him. In Bocklin we have an interesting enigma. Bocklin was one of those who Steiner described as being able to sit by the crashing seas of Tintagel, the Castle of the Arthurian Knights and with atavistic clairvoyance, see the elemental beings. These appear vividly in Bocklin's paintings. In the surge of the sea, they could feel and gain Earth courage insight into Astral and occult deeds.

Well Bocklin is such an enigma. Another enigma we wander around by the Salad Bar of Spiritual Science hoping to find something to our taste. Bocklin's paintings and his karma linked him to Wagner and when we try to go further with Bocklin we appear to be led to Tennyson's Poem, where Arthur demands of his last living knight to throw Excalibur into the Lake. Sir Bedevere is the related character of the enigma of Bocklin and how reluctant Bocklin was to throw away the treasures of the Arthurian past. Same as Wagner.

"EXCALIBUR Loe Pool has long been renowned as a possible location for the final resting place of King Arthur's great sword Excalibur, and the home of the Lady of the Lake. The story of Arthur's wounding at the fateful Battle of Camlann and his command to his last surviving knight Sir Bedevere that he should fling the fabled sword into the lake was immortalised by Tennyson's great poem Morte d'Arthur. Although doubts remain as to whether Loe Pool is really the place where Excalibur was thrown, it was probably where Tennyson imagined the scene taking place."

http://www.time-scapes.co.uk/Arthur%20in%20the%20Southwest/land%27send.html

The above link gets you to one of the stations along the karmic trail of the Michael School that we have written about. From the Last Supper, to ARthur and the Grail families, to the Michael School, Chartres etc... The Cognition of the Michael School has moved along with the current of karma and time. When we speak of Wagner's contributions, we are looking at an Enigma and this looking at Enigmas are not for the immature and Politically Correct. Enigmas are for those who study the path of Initiation.

King Arthur: Now, we are about to attempt to cross...the Bridge of Death! The gate-keeper of the Bridge will ask any who attempt to cross five questions--

Sir Bedevere: Three, sire.

Arthur: (pause) Oh, yes, three. He who successfully answers these five

questions--

Bedevere: Three, sire!

Arthur: (slightly longer pause) Ah, three, then...er, may pass in safety.

However, anyone who fails to correctly answer all five questions--

Bedevere: THREE, sire!

Arthur: I KNOW IT'S BLOODY THR--ahem, yes, of course, three. (black look at

Bedevere)...will be cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril!!!

(dramatic music)

Arthur: (continuing) Sir Robin, why don't you go?

Sir Robin: Er...I've got an idea! Why doesn't Sir Lancelot go?

Sir Lancelot: Yes, I'll take him, sire. (about to draw sword) I'll make a feint

to the North-East, and then--

Arthur: No, no, just answer the questions, Sir Lancelot.

Lancelot: But I'd really like a feint to the North-East, sire...

Arthur: No, Sir Lancelot. We'll all be right behind you, listening...

Lancelot: (sheathing sword) I...understand, sire.

Arthur: Our prayers go with you, Sir Lancelot.

(Lancelot approaches the bridge. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the BRIDGEKEEPER appears.)

Bedevere: (whispering) It's the old man from Scene 24!!

Bridgekeeper: STOP!

He who would cross the Bridge of Death

Must answer me

These questions three

Ere the other side he see.

Lancelot: Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your name?

Lancelot: Sir Lancelot of Camelot.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your quest?

Lancelot: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your favorite color?

Lancelot: Blue.

Bridgekeeper: Right, off you go.

Lancelot: (realizing that was it) Oh! Well, thank you. Thank you very much.

(and off he goes. The knights look at each other.)

Robin: That's EASY!!!

(A mad rush for the bridge. Robin arrives first. The knights cluster behind.

A few sniff and wrinkle their noses, and the group backs off.)

Bridgekeeper: STOP!

He who would cross the Bridge of Death

Must answer me

These questions three

Ere the other side he see.

Robin: (excitedly) Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper, I am not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your name?

Robin: Robin of Camelot.

Bridgekeeper: What...is you quest?

Robin: I seek the Grail!

Bridgekeeper: What...is the capital of Assyria?

Robin: (indignant) I don't know THAT!! (An unseen force whisks him up and over the side.) AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!

(The knights pause, realizing this may be a bit tougher than all that.)

Bedevere: What shall we do, sire?

Arthur: Well, I'm not sure, but...

Bridgekeeper: (off) What...goes black, white, black, white, black, white?

Sir Gawain: (off) Uh...er...ah...Babylon? AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Bridgekeeper: STOP!

He who would cross the Bridge of Death

Must answer me

These questions three

Ere the other side he see.

Sir Galahad: (swallowing) Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper...I am not afraid...

Bridgekeeper: What...is your name?

Galahad: (nervous) Sir Galahad...

Bridgekeeper: What...is your quest?

Galahad: (really nervous) To seek the Grail...

Bridgekeeper: What...is your favorite color?

Galahad: (relieved) Blue! (starts across; oops) NO! YELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW!!!!

(Arthur steps forward)

Bridgekeeper: STOP!

He who would cross the Bridge of Death

Must answer me

These questions three

Ere the other side he see.

Arthur: Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What...is your name?

Arthur: King Arthur of the Britons!

Bridgekeeper: What...is your quest?

Arthur: I seek the Holy Grail!

Bridgekeeper: What...is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Arthur: (brief pause) What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?

Bridgekeeper: (confused) Well...I don't know... AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

Bedevere: (crossing behind Arthur) How do you know so much about swallows, sire?

Arthur: Well, you have to know these sorts of things when you're a king, you know...

(Arthur and Bedevere approach a gigantic lake. A boat in the shape of a dragon glides slowly towards them. As they prepare to cross, the same old man suddenly appears before them.)

Boat-keeper: STOP!

He who would cross the Sea of Fate

Must answer me these questions twenty-eight!

(Arthur and Bedevere look at each other. They look at the old man. They look back at each other. They pick the old man up, throw him in the water, and board the ship.)

...................................................................................................................................

From: holderlin66
Date: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:49 pm
Subject: Re: Initiation and Antisemitism/false witness

Bradford comments;

Entrapment and bearing false witness, as well as Character Assassination are subjects that seem to have been of vital interest to Peter S. Here the false representation of AnthroSophic Soul and Sophia wisdom targeting Dr. Steiner and those who wish to approach the new AnthroSophic condition, must first be accused of sick crimes against human brotherhood. Declaring that the study of humanity from Ancient Saturn to the current Sciences is A CULT. Hegel, Darwin and our current fear of the nuclear bomb must also be cults.

It is easy to destroy reputations but it is not so easy to enter into the deception of the Soul's mind frame, main frame, that has given the soul permission to distort, misrepresent and run away from motives that are almost transparent to anybody else. Elders and dialectical materialists carry with them certain unconscious motives that stay in the background.

All these things, we learn from the Initiation subject matter of Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" and Dr. Steiner's depiction of the gigantic scope of of the history of the I AM and the unfolding of preparation for vessels for the I AM i.e. preparing bodies for the diverse Planetary forces of the I AM. The pre-creation of the I AM in the Spiritual World, before we began to see the unfolding of the Newtonian spectrum of diverse forms, right up to the individual illumination of the Karma of humanity and the individual as it carried its own distinct history and incarnations through time.

(Chapter 13 of the Greek version of Daniel)
Susanna's Beauty Attracts Two Elders

1 There was a man living in Babylon whose name was Joakim. 2 He married the daughter of Hilkiah, named Susanna, a very beautiful woman and one who feared the Lord. 3 Her parents were righteous, and had trained their daughter according to the law of Moses. 4 Joakim was very rich, and had a fine garden adjoining his house; the Jews used to come to him because he was the most honored of them all.

5 That year two elders from the people were appointed as judges. Concerning them the Lord had said: "Wickedness came forth from Babylon, from elders who were judges, who were supposed to govern the people." 6 These men were frequently at Joakim's house, and all who had a case to be tried came to them there.

7 When the people left at noon, Susanna would go into her husband's garden to walk. 8 Every day the two elders used to see her, going in and walking about, and they began to lust for her. 9 They suppressed their consciences and turned away their eyes from looking to Heaven or remembering their duty to administer justice. 10 Both were overwhelmed with passion for her, but they did not tell each other of their distress, 11 for they were ashamed to disclose their lustful desire to seduce her. 12 Day after day they watched eagerly to see her.

13 One day they said to each other, "Let us go home, for it is time for lunch." So they both left and parted from each other. 14 But turning back, they met again; and when each pressed the other for the reason, they confessed their lust. Then together they arranged for a time when they could find her alone.

The Elders Attempt to Seduce Susanna

15 Once, while they were watching for an opportune day, she went in as before with only two maids, and wished to bathe in the garden, for it was a hot day. 16 No one was there except the two elders, who had hidden themselves and were watching her. 17 She said to her maids, "Bring me olive oil and ointments, and shut the garden doors so that I can bathe." 18 They did as she told them: they shut the doors of the garden and went out by the side doors to bring what they had been commanded; they did not see the elders, because they were hiding.

19 When the maids had gone out, the two elders got up and ran to her. 20 They said, "Look, the garden doors are shut, and no one can see us. We are burning with desire for you; so give your consent, and lie with us. 21 If you refuse, we will testify against you that a young man was with you, and this was why you sent your maids away."

22 Susanna groaned and said, "I am completely trapped. For if I do this, it will mean death for me; if I do not, I cannot escape your hands. 23 I choose not to do it; I will fall into your hands, rather than sin in the sight of the Lord."

24 Then Susanna cried out with a loud voice, and the two elders shouted against her. 25 And one of them ran and opened the garden doors. 26 When the people in the house heard the shouting in the garden, they rushed in at the side door to see what had happened to her. 27 And when the elders told their story, the servants felt very much ashamed, for nothing like this had ever been said about Susanna.

The Elders Testify against Susanna

28 The next day, when the people gathered at the house of her husband Joakim, the two elders came, full of their wicked plot to have Susanna put to death. In the presence of the people they said, 29 "Send for Susanna daughter of Hilkiah, the wife of Joakim." 30 So they sent for her. And she came with her parents, her children, and all her relatives.

31 Now Susanna was a woman of great refinement and beautiful in appearance. 32 As she was veiled, the scoundrels ordered her to be unveiled, so that they might feast their eyes on her beauty. 33 Those who were with her and all who saw her were weeping.

34 Then the two elders stood up before the people and laid their hands on her head. 35 Through her tears she looked up toward Heaven, for her heart trusted in the Lord. 36 The elders said, "While we were walking in the garden alone, this woman came in with two maids, shut the garden doors, and dismissed the maids. 37 Then a young man, who was hiding there, came to her and lay with her. 38 We were in a corner of the garden, and when we saw this wickedness we ran to them. 39 Although we saw them embracing, we could not hold the man, because he was stronger than we, and he opened the doors and got away. 40 We did, however, seize this woman and asked who the young man was, 41 but she would not tell us. These things we testify." Because they were elders of the people and judges, the assembly believed them and condemned her to death.

42 Then Susanna cried out with a loud voice, and said, "O eternal God, you know what is secret and are aware of all things before they come to be; 43 you know that these men have given false evidence against me. And now I am to die, though I have done none of the wicked things that they have charged against me!"

44 The Lord heard her cry. 45 Just as she was being led off to execution, God stirred up the holy spirit of a young lad named Daniel, 46 and he shouted with a loud voice, "I want no part in shedding this woman's blood!"

Daniel Rescues Susanna

47 All the people turned to him and asked, "What is this you are saying?" 48 Taking his stand among them he said, "Are you such fools, O Israelites, as to condemn a daughter of Israel without examination and without learning the facts? 49 Return to court, for these men have given false evidence against her."

50 So all the people hurried back. And the rest of the elders said to him, "Come, sit among us and inform us, for God has given you the standing of an elder." 51 Daniel said to them, "Separate them far from each other, and I will examine them."

52 When they were separated from each other, he summoned one of them and said to him, "You old relic of wicked days, your sins have now come home, which you have committed in the past, 53 pronouncing unjust judgments, condemning the innocent and acquitting the guilty, though the Lord said, 'You shall not put an innocent and righteous person to death.' 54 Now then, if you really saw this woman, tell me this: Under what tree did you see them being intimate with each other?" He answered, "Under a mastic tree." 55 And Daniel said, "Very well! This lie has cost you your head, for the angel of God has received the sentence from God and will immediately cut you in two."

56 Then, putting him to one side, he ordered them to bring the other. And he said to him, "You offspring of Canaan and not of Judah, beauty has beguiled you and lust has perverted your heart. 57 This is how you have been treating the daughters of Israel, and they were intimate with you through fear; but a daughter of Judah would not tolerate your wickedness. 58 Now then, tell me: Under what tree did you catch them being intimate with each other?" He answered, "Under an evergreen oak." 59 Daniel said to him, "Very well! This lie has cost you also your head, for the angel of God is waiting with his sword to split you in two, so as to destroy you both."

60 Then the whole assembly raised a great shout and blessed God, who saves those who hope in him. 61 And they took action against the two elders, because out of their own mouths Daniel had convicted them of bearing false witness; they did to them as they had wickedly planned to do to their neighbor. 62 Acting in accordance with the law of Moses, they put them to death. Thus innocent blood was spared that day.

63 Hilkiah and his wife praised God for their daughter Susanna, and so did her husband Joakim and all her relatives, because she was found innocent of a shameful deed. 64 And from that day onward Daniel had a great reputation among the people.

...................................................................................................................................

From: holderlin66
Date: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:21 am
Subject: Re: Initiation and Antisemitism/Mel

holderlin66 wrote:

Steiner, we have established, covers the gamut of I AM history, back to the core of Ancient Saturn - The Mid-point of Earth Evolution Christ Event - to Future unfolding conditions. Shakespeare does not reach as high as Steiner, but we curse Steiner for his vision into the depths of humanity. This means that souls fear Initiation Science and the power of Shakespeare, because they both called it as they saw it.

Now, we shall have to say by the measure of Peter S. that Shakespeare was an Antisemite.

[Welcome to Dry Gulch AnthroVille; POP. 0.02; where the bar stays closed until the local Judge gets back in town. Judge Staudenmaier. Oh ya, you claim to want rich discussions, drinks for all, but without your local nemesis, it's a pretty dry town, AnthroVille. A quiet place, not a soul on the street, unless the Judge rides in to town. Suddenly, wagons, country fairs, rodeos, songs and dancing in the street. I guess Cognition takes a Spring Break and research goes on hiatus when no rubber band dynamics dominate the soul. Here have a plate full of WORLD.]

Notes on Gibson:

"The modern liberal Christian or Jew, so attached to secular utopian fantasy, doesn't want to hear about suffering and redemption. They don't want to see it. They have no need, after all. For them, Jesus Christ is not a Redeemer but a utopian-socialist philosopher, urging not just love for the sinner but love for the sin. This film – Catholic and Marian, a recreation of the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary and The Stations of the Cross – shows them the Truth, something many men fear more than the Lie."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/kirkwood/kirkwood47.html

"The critics dislike this film for an unspoken reason unrelated to, yet hidden, in what they have written, that reason having been written into the film. Its message is this: "I Am The Way, and The Truth And The Life."

Of course, secular critics, whether politically or theologically liberal, don't want to hear the Truth. Thus, the angst and hatred, the weeping and gnashing of teeth. Thus, their primal scream, echoing Satan in his Hell when Christ dies in "The Passion."

Where the Critics Are Wrong

Before addressing "The Passion's" message, better to dispense with the main objections. First and foremost is that the film is anti-Semitic because it depicts Jews as the bloodthirsty caricatures conjured up by Julius Streicher, the Nazi propagandist.

Poppycock. Only viewers schooled in anti-Semitic mythology, 99.99 percent of whom aren't, would draw that conclusion. Indeed, it's hard to see anti-Semitic images even when looking. They aren't there. No one will walk out of this film an anti-Semite who didn't walk in one. The principal villains in the film are the Romans wielding the whips with sadistic abandon, pushing Our Lord to his death at Golgotha.

And yes, the film conforms to the Gospels. So seamless is Gibson's tapestry that average viewers, many undoubtedly enthusiastic Christians but unschooled in Scripture, won't know what he culled from extra-scriptural sources. On this point, the critics contradict themselves. They say Gibson departed from the Gospels (in depicting the savagery of the scourging, for instance) by consulting those sources. But then they argue that the Gospels are ahistorical, that Gibson should have consulted other sources. Whatever. The film depicts what most viewers, particularly Catholics, remember from their desultory reading of the Bible. As for "not providing the context" of the Crucifixion, so what? Even viewers who are only nominal Christians or atheists, who live in post-Christian America with everyone else, know the story behind "The Passion." They don't need "context."

That truth raises another false criticism: that the film is too violent and does not show Jesus's important teachings. Again, poppycock. The "violence" is over-hyped and unlike the typical Hollywood fare. The critics know that and lie in pretending otherwise. As for the teachings, flashbacks provide them. They show Jesus preaching the Sermon on the Mount and telling followers to love their enemies. Without words, Jesus imparts the lessons of mercy and forgiveness and condemns hypocrisy when he saves Mary Magdalene: Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. Jesus teaches his apostles at The Last Supper, and delivers the invocation every Catholic hears when he attends Mass: "This is My Body ... this is My Blood."

Finally, Gibson's Jesus imparts Christianity's central teaching: "I am the way, and the truth and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me."

The Real Problem

For Passion critics and haters, these last words are the genuine problem with the film. It isn't that the film imparts too few of Jesus's hard teachings. Rather, it imparts too many. It renders his most important teachings. It proclaims, unflinchingly, what non-Christians and tepid Christians do not want to hear: To enter Heaven, we must go through Jesus Christ.

And with Jesus, comes the Cross, another teaching too hard for the modern age: He suffered and died for our sins, and we too must suffer and shoulder His Cross. After all, our own sins fashioned it. This is Gibson's point. His sins, our sins, put Christ on the Cross. Our sins brought down each stripe from the Roman flagellum, crowned Him with thorns and delivered each agonizing blow of hammer on nail. Real Christians believe every sin drives another nail into His hand, another nail into His foot, another lance into His side. "

...................................................................................................................................


From: ftsmith747
Date: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:02 pm
Subject: Re: Initiation and Antisemitism/Mel

--- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, holderlin66 wrote:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/kirkwood/kirkwood47.html

"The critics dislike this film for an unspoken reason unrelated to, yet hidden, in what they have written, that reason having been written into the film. Its message is this: "I Am The Way, and The Truth And The Life."

Bradford,

Did you see the film? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Frank

...................................................................................................................................

From: holderlin66
Date: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:04 pm
Subject: Re: Initiation and Antisemitism/Mel

ftsmith747 wrote:

Bradford,

Did you see the film? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Frank

have not seen it. Not anxious to see it. interested if huge bricks and as Paulina, Dottie and I discussed earlier, there seems to be a drift of guilt and jesuit pain and suffering to force, impose and trap the soul in a bubble of guilt and pain...

However comments from the world as they wrestle with their own issues regarding the film, interest me. I am fairly confident that when I see it, I will get an accurate read on it.

Bradford

...................................................................................................................................

From: engemi ferreira
Date: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:51 am
Subject: Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: Initiation and Antisemitism/Mel

Hi guys,

Suppose you're talking about the JC film, no? What interests me is that all over the world people have become so used to being abused by sex, violence, crime etc in films, and yet they place very high age restrictions on this one, Did you perhaps discuss this? It seems that people (viewers) couldn't take the ammount of severe abuse against the Christ character shown in the film.

engemi

Gazing at God from the Gutter

...................................................................................................................................

From: Frank Thomas Smith
Date: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:10 pm
Subject: RE: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: Initiation and Antisemitism/Mel

I haven't seen it either, and don't intend to (weak stomach). Ntwithstanding that, a non-review of the film, by me, will appear in the next SCR.

Frank

Bradford,

Did you see the film? I'd be interested in your opinion.

Frank

[Bradford:]

have not seen it. Not anxious to see it. interested if huge bricks and as Paulina, Dottie and I discussed earlier, there seems to be a drift of guilt and jesuit pain and suffering to force, impose and trap the soul in a bubble of guilt and pain...

However comments from the world as they wrestle with their own issues regarding the film, interest me. I am fairly confident that when I see it, I will get an accurate read on it.

...................................................................................................................................

From: dottie zold
Date: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:03 am
Subject: Re: When The Man Comes Around (was: Initiation and Antisemitism/Mel)

Bryan,

Thanks for sharing this great piece by Jonny Cash. I had no idea he spoke on such things as I don't think I have ever heard a song of his. But then again I just began listening to Dylan after all the posts in the past few years regarding his impact.

I also really enjoyed the Donkey post. Funny how life is such a bite in the ass at times isn't it?

Love,
d

Bryan:

"The Man Comes Around", the last cd in the series, has this breathtaking description in its title song of what exactly happens when, well, The Man Comes Around, according to Johnny:

And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder:
One of the four beasts saying: "Come and see."
And I saw.
And behold, a white horse.

There's a man goin' 'round takin' names.
An' he decides who to free and who to blame.
Everybody won't be treated all the same.
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

The hairs on your arm will stand up.
At the terror in each sip and in each sup.
For you partake of that last offered cup,
Or disappear into the potter's ground.
When the man comes around.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers.
One hundred million angels singin'.
Multitudes are marching to the big kettle drum.
Voices callin', voices cryin'.
Some are born an' some are dyin'.
It's Alpha's and Omega's Kingdom come.

And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
The virgins are all trimming their wicks.
The whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Till Armageddon, no Shalam, no Shalom.
Then the father hen will call his chickens home.
The wise men will bow down before the throne.
And at his feet they'll cast their golden crown.
When the man comes around.

Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still.
Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still.
Whoever is filthy, let him be filthy still.
Listen to the words long written down,
When the man comes around.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers.
One hundred million angels singin'.
Multitudes are marchin' to the big kettle drum.
Voices callin', voices cryin'.
Some are born an' some are dyin'.
It's Alpha's and Omega's Kingdom come.

And the whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
The virgins are all trimming their wicks.
The whirlwind is in the thorn tree.
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

In measured hundredweight and penny pound.
When the man comes around.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts,
And I looked and behold: a pale horse.
And his name, that sat on him, was Death.
And Hell follwed with him.

Bryan

 Cult Worship

 Three Questions, Three Times

 Practice Spirit Mindfulness

 Retardation and Human thinking

Origin of a Bad Race

 Gazing at God from the Gutter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Click to subscribe to anthroposophy_tomorrow
 

March/April 2004

The Uncle Taz "Anthroposophy Tomorrow" Files

Anthroposophy & Anarchism

Anthroposophy & Scientology

Anthroposophical Morsels

Anthroposophy, Critics, and Controversy

Search this site powered by FreeFind